The Golden Rules
Use a refrigerator stored SCOBY to make Kombucha.
Use a dehydrated SCOBY to make Kombucha.
Attempt to grow a SCOBY from a commercial bottle of Kombucha that:
- has been pasteurized
- has been flavored
- has been filtered or reformulated
- says anything less than “100% Kombucha” on the label
Use a fresh, full-size Kombucha SCOBY to begin brewing.
Store your SCOBYs in a SCOBY Hotel in a dry and dark place.
Pass along healthy, fresh SCOBYs with at least 1-2 cups of mature Kombucha Tea and complete, clear instructions to ensure success. If you cannot, recommend a reputable source instead.
Kombucha Brewing Tips
- Never store Kombucha SCOBYs in the Refrigerator!
- Sanitize with hot water or vinegar – NO SOAP. It kills the kombucha culture.
- Airflow is key – find an open area for your Kombucha Tea.
- If you see mold, throw everything away. Kombucha Mushrooms are not salvagable when mold strikes.
- Keep a SCOBY Hotel for backups and extras.
- Kombucha is a LIVING organism. Many believe the energy in the room will directly influence your culture.
If you live in or near the 30 Mile Zone here in Southern California, contact me if you would like to make arrangements to pick up your own Kombucha Scoby locally. If you would like your Kombucha Scoby by mail, here is a link to Kombucha Kamp. For more information on all things Kombucha, check out Hannah Crumb’s Big Book of Kombucha.
- 1 cup sugar (organic if possible)
- 4 teaspoons loose tea (1 tsp = 1 tea bag)
- Kombucha Starter Culture – SCOBY
- 1 cup starter liquid
- purified/bottled water
- tea kettle
- brewing vessel
- cloth cover
- rubber band
- Add hot water & tea to tea pot or other brewing vessel.
- Steep 5-7 minutes, then remove tea.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Fill vessel most of the way with purified water, leaving just 1-2 inches from the top for breathing room with purified cold water.
- Add SCOBY and starter liquid.
- Cover with cloth cover and secure with the rubber band.
- Say a prayer, send good vibes, commune with your culture (optional but recommended).
- Set in a warm location out of direct sunlight (unless vessel is opaque). Do not disturb for 7 days.
- After 7 days, or when you are ready to taste your KT, gently insert a straw beneath the SCOBY and take a sip. If too tart, then reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days. Continue to taste every day or so until you reach your optimum flavor preference. Your own Kombucha Tea Recipe may vary. Decant & flavor (optional). Drink as desired! Start off with 4-8oz on an empty stomach in the morning, then with meals to help with digestion or as your body tells you it would like some more! Drink plenty of water as it is a natural detoxifyer and you want to flush the newly released toxins out.